I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Peanut butter and chocolate are a perfect couple. In this recipe I've added canned chickpeas for a high protein boost that makes these squares a great option for a post-exercise recovery treat, an afternoon pick-me-up, or even breakfast. (Because who doesn't want cookies for breakfast?!) They are creamy, peanut buttery, and chocolaty- a trifecta of perfection.
If you're looking to include more plant based protein options, pulses are where it's at! They are packed with protein and fibre, and canned chix are just so easy to use: open~drain~eat.
Check out the Half Cup Habit for lots of easy ways to incorporate chickpeas and other pulses into your day. (and chances to win prizes!!)
In this recipe, I recommend using low sodium chickpeas, but if you can't find those, or don't have them on hand, you can use regular chickpeas and rinse them well, which removes 40-50% of the sodium (do this all the time if you're concerned about your sodium intake!).
I also used natural peanut butter here. While you can use other types, they do have sugar in them, so even though this isn't an overly sweet recipe, you may want to cut down even more on the sugar here.
- 1 24 oz. can chickpeas
- 1/2 cup natural peanut butter
- 1/3 cup less 1 tbsp. sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 /4 tsp baking powder
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350℉.
- Drain chickpeas. If they are not low sodium, rinse well.
- Add all ingredients, except chocolate chips into food processer.
- Pulse on high for about 5 minutes, until all ingredients are well combined and there are no visible chickpeas.
- Add in chocolate chips and pulse until just combined.
- Scrape batter into 12 inch pan. Bake for , remove from oven to cool.